In the beginning…

My idea was to keep the factory head unit, because it has touch screen controls for the radio, phone, SAT radio and climate controls, and add a tablet for NAV and “futuristic coolness”. Below is the removal of the bezel. I learned how from this VIDEO.

After removing the bezel and the radio I can see what I have to work with inside the dash.

Here are pictures of what I did to allow the radio to be mounted in the dropped or low position that I want.

Here is the radio set in to its new position,

Here are a couple of pictures of the radio after I took the plastic parts off the edges. I made two holes in the radio housing plastic on each side of the radio. This let me put a screw thru the radio and into the holes to mount the radio in the housing in the new position.

Now that the in-dash radio bracket has been modified to allow the radio to move to its new dropped position the bezel needs some work too,

Now that I have made room inside the dash for the radio to be lower I need to work on the bezel to get the radio in its new position to fit.

After I got the epoxy putty put in all around it was a huge pain in the butt to get that stuff sanded and painted and looking like a finished surface. In the beginning every time I sanded and painted the putty and bezel you could see the edge of the putty where it met the plastic and every hill and bump in the putty surface came into sharp relief. I considered all kinds of crazy options like coating the whole bezel with Plasti-Dip or covering it with hard drying spray insulation so I could sand the whole thing down and have a uniform surface to “lacquer” and paint.

It was a huge hassle and really had me stalled on this project for a long time. In the end I realized that I was using too fine a grit sandpaper and that really, sanding was the only way I was going to fix this. Here is a video and a bunch of pictures of this entire process.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.